There are two common mistakes that bloggers often make.
1.) Not figuring out a blog niche,
2.) Figuring out the wrong blog niche.
It’s OK, when this happens, we are all at different stages in life and our personalities, interests and hobbies will change a lot over the years, furthermore, new technology and crazes will make us reassess whether we want to pay closer attention to our current interests or go down a brand new track.
However, when you have be blogging for a while, you will know whether you are doing it right by the amount of connections and money you are making and whether you are generating any leads. If you are not doing any of these then you might want to consider whether it’s time to change your blog niche.
Remember you are never too far down the road to turn back and take a different route. However, you might want to make sure with every fibre in your body that this time you get it as perfect as possible. Too much chopping and changing can leave you looking like you have no clue or strategy and if you ever want to become the ‘go to expert’ in your chosen blog niche you need to be sticking with it for a long time.
Do you have a blog brand? What is your USP?….Many bloggers have a personal domain. I did, in the form of bethhewittonline.com I blogged about everything, I had people on my list who were interested in everything…can you see how that might be a problem? Only when I rebranded and started over, could I build a targeted list of bloggers.
So here are the giveaway clues as to whether it’s a good time to reinvent your blog niche and brand.
- You don’t know what your niche is? – It might surprise you but this is really common, so don’t be alarmed if you are still trying to figure it out. Many bloggers just start blogging without stopping to think. The good news is I when you sign up to my newsletter you will get some guides to help make the process easier.
- You have a niche, but you are not passionate about it. This happens all the time too, we start out on one journey only to find we are not interested in it anymore. The biggest takeaway I want to leave you with however; is that it is really important to be passionate. Passion is half the battle when you are trying to create success. So make sure you have it.
- You haven’t made any money online – This isn’t everything, it can take time to make money online. But when you have truly figured out your niche and have products and solutions that you can offer your targeted list and market, you will be surprised how much easier it is to make money. So if you aren’t making anything you might want to rethink that niche.
- You aren’t generating leads – If you aren’t generating leads this could be more to do with you not generating traffic than not having a good enough niche, but let’s pretend you have a nice steady flow of traffic and you are creating quality content. If you are not generating leads now, it is because, you don’t have a quality offer, your visitors and followers are confused by what you do or you aren’t making it easy for people to opt on your list.
- Your Social profiles are a mishmash – You need an ANCHOR that is something that grounds and links all your social profiles together, sometimes this is a logo, sometimes it is a tagline, a picture, a gravatar, but something that builds your brand presence on multiple sites tying everything together. Have you got this?
- People ask you about X when you haven’t been interested in that for at least 2 years or more. – You definitely need a new brand when people ask you for help and advice on creating videos when your niche is cats and tomorrow they ask you about gardening….EEK!
[/black_arrow_list]You might also like this video by saleforce talking about the 5 C’s of creating a blog brand. If you need to speed up the time it takes to watch videos and really leverage your time, I recommend using Enounce MySpeed.
Out of all of this, I want to say that starting over with your brand doesn’t have to be heartache. It can seem like a big task but actually you will have learnt so much over the years that it won’t take you half as long to pull it all together. It is also an opportunity to get it right. Set up all your new personal profiles at the same time and watch them grow organically as you grow your blogs brand. I did it and it was the best thing I ever did. You can do it too.
Have you ever had to make a decision to start over with your brand? How did you decide and what steps did you take to make the change?
What’s your best way to find inspiration for your next blog post? Have you got any good ways to get your brain cells buzzing? Please comment and share this post if you have found it useful.
To Your Simple Blogging Success,
P.S Learn how I finally cracked the code to making a full-time income online >>>>Here<<<<
P.P.S When you subscribe to the Simple Blogging Network Newsletter you get:
- A FREE 5 Steps to Simple Blogging Success E-book
- 2 workbooks to help you figure out your niche
- A 30 Blog Post Ideas Blueprint for any Niche!